811E.Yellow Jacket Ln STE 113
Rockwall, TX 75087
Mon – Sun 24hrs
JBond Bail Bonds
Shoplifting is a serious crime, and Texas is known for being tough on criminals of all kinds. Under Texas law, shoplifting falls under the category of general theft, and penalties can be severe. Stores today employ many shoplifting deterrents, like loss prevention officers, security cameras, and anti-theft tags that set off alarms. It’s no wonder shoplifting is one of the most commonly prosecuted crimes in Texas.
If you or someone you love has been arrested for shoplifting in Rockwall or anywhere in the DFW area, call JBond Bail Bonds to get you out fast! The longer you stay behind bars, the more damaging your arrest could be – especially if you’re missing work because of it. Don’t lose your job or lose out on time you could be spending with your family. Get a caring, experienced team like Jbond on your side right away!
Theft in Texas
The Texas penal code defines theft as such:
Sec. 31.03. THEFT. (a) A person commits an offense if he unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner of property. (b) Appropriation of property is unlawful if:
(1) it is without the owner’s effective consent;
(2) the property is stolen, and the actor appropriates the property knowing it was stolen by another.
Any time you intentionally take someone’s property – the store’s property in the case of shoplifting – without their consent, you can be charged with theft. This also includes tampering with price tags to avoid paying full price, and having or distributing devices that aid in shoplifting by deactivating anti-theft protections.
Texas Shoplifting Penalties
Penalties for theft in Texas depend on the value of the stolen property. Theft can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony, and the consequences can include jail time, fines, or both. A record of previous theft convictions may also exacerbate the charges.
Here are the criminal penalties for theft in Texas:
- For property valued at less than $50, Class C misdemeanor punishable by fines up to $500.
- For property valued at $50-$500, B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail and fines up to $2,000.
- For property valued at $500-$1,500, Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and fines up to $4,000.
- For property valued at $1,500-$20,000, state jail felony punishable by 180 days to 2 years in a state penitentiary and fines up to $10,000.
- For property valued at $20,000-$100,000, third degree felony punishable by 2-10 years in jail and fines up to $10,000.
- For property valued at $100,000-$200,000, second degree felony punishable by 2-20 years in jail and fines up to $10,000.
- For property valued at more than $200,000, first degree felony punishable by 5-99 years in jail and fines up to $10,000.
A civil suit can also be brought against you by the owner of the establishment. For adult shoplifters, retailers can sue for the value of the stolen items plus $1,000. When a minor shoplifts, their parents can be sued by the retailer for the value of the stolen goods plus $5,000.
If you can prove that you did not take the property, that you took it by accident, or that the store’s scanners failed to register the sale, you might be able to fight the shoplifting charge. Your best bet is to hire a good attorney to defend you in court, and a good bail bondsman to get you out of jail while you wait for your hearing.
Bonding Out of Jail for Shoplifting Charges
JBond Bail Bonds will front you the bail money you need. It doesn’t matter if you are being charged with a misdemeanor or a felony. Our experienced and tactful team will get to work immediately so that you don’t have to waste any unnecessary time behind bars. Once you’re out of jail, you can obtain legal representation and start building your defense. We offer interest-free repayment plans for your convenience.
JBond Bail Bonds Will Get You Out of Jail
It’s always stressful to be accused of a crime, and shoplifting charges can have serious consequences. When you need a way out, please contact us as soon as you can. We work hard to get you free, and we’re only a phone call away.
CONTACT US TODAY AND GET A
FREE FIRST CONSULTATION