Texas has tough drug laws, and officers will not hesitate to take you to jail if they find you in possession of illegal drugs. Drug penalties in Texas usually involve fines and jail time, especially if you’re found guilty of distribution or the intent to distribute. If you find yourself in jail on illegal drug charges, use your call to get in touch with us ASAP! JBond Bail Bonds will bail you out, whether you’re being charged with a misdemeanor or a felony drug offense.
Is possession of controlled substances a felony in Texas? That depends on which drug you possess, how much of the drug you have on you, whether you’re carrying a large amount of cash, if the drugs are concealed, and if you have drug paraphernalia with you.
Drug Categories in Texas
Texas law recognizes the following categories of drugs:
- These are drugs derived from the opium poppy. They are painkillers and central nervous system depressants. Examples include morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, and fentanyl.
- Drugs that have a sedative effect, including heroin, Valium, Xanax, and alcohol. Some drugs are both narcotics and depressants.
- These drugs heighten your alertness and speed up your heart. Some examples are cocaine, meth, speed, and some inhalants.
- Drugs that put the user in an altered mental state, like LSD, PSP, mushrooms, ketamine, and cannabis.
Texas Drug Penalty Groups
Texas divides controlled substances into four penalty groups. Group 1 contains the most dangerous drugs that are most frequently abused and have no recognized medicinal value. Groups 1-A, 2, 2-A, 3, and 4 decrease in deadliness and likelihood of abuse, and increase in recognized medical uses.
- Group 1 – Penalties range from a fine up to $10,000, 180 days in jail to 2 years in prison, or both (for possession of less than 1 gram) to a $100,000 fine and 10 – 99 years in prison (for possession of more than 400 grams).
- Group 1A – This group governs only LSD, and the penalties depend on the number of units in possession. For fewer than 20 units, a fine up to $10,000, 180 days in jail to 2 years in prison, or both. For more than 4000 units, a $250,000 fine and 15 – 99 years in prison.
- Group 2 – Less than one gram incurs a fine of up to $10,000, at least 180 days in jail and up to two years in prison, or both. 400 grams or more incurs a fine of up to $50,000, 5 – 99 years in prison, or both.
- Group 2A – This group contains marijuana and derivatives. Penalties range from a fine of up to $2,000 and 180 days in jail for possessing two ounces or less, to 5 – 99 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000 for having 2,000 pounds or more.
- Group 3 – Penalties range from a fine of up to $4,000, up to one year in jail, or both for less than 28 grams to a fine of up to $50,000, at least 5 – 99 years in prison, or both for 400 grams or more.
- Group 4 – Punishments range from a fine of up to $2,000, up to 180 days in jail, or both for less than 28 grams to a fine of up to $50,000, 5 – 99 years in prison, or both for 400 grams or more.
The manufacture of drugs, or any drug charge involving a minor, are separate charges that will only exacerbate the situation.
Call JBond Today for Burglary or Robbery Bail Bonds
If you’ve been arrested for the possession of illegal substances in Rockwall or the surrounding areas, get on the phone with JBond Bail Bonds as quickly as possible. We understand that people make mistakes, and we do not judge you for the circumstances you’re in. What we do is make the bail bond process as quick and easy as we can.
Drug charges are serious business. After an arrest for drugs, you will be booked into a jail and possibly placed with violent offenders. Sometimes fights break out, and sometimes a detective will pressure you to admit to something you didn’t do. Let us get you out fast before anything goes wrong! Call us today
.JBond Bail Bonds in Rockwall is the team you want on your side when you find yourself behind bars. We can get you out of any jail in or around the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Every minute you spend in jail is critical time you could be spending with your family or lawyer. That’s why we work hard to get you out as fast as possible!
Don’t put your job or your future in risk by wasting your time in jail. Get back to your life and put your arrest behind you by calling JBond to bail you out. We are available to help you 24/7, any day of the year, whenever you need us. Our prices are fair, and we will beat any bail bond company’s price!